PayPal used to be the most popular and revolutionized work of technology in the whole world. During the past year, people did not show much interest in the alternatives for PayPal.
PayPal was relatively a safer option for the transaction of money between friends, family, and businesses compared to the other alternatives provided at that time. PayPal became a huge topic of conversation when eBay emerged with PayPal because now both the buyers and the sellers wanted to stay alert about any activity that could lead to business fraud.
PayPal is inclusive of many tools for robust invoicing and payment processing. A tool like reporting allows you to accept payments, thus avoiding any problems related to the payment.
The popularity of services like PayPal is that the population is very comfortable using PayPal and inclusive of a robust business interface. But there are some alternatives to PayPal, which also offer comparatively reduced rates, optimum customer support, and the most effective interfaces.
12 Best Paypal Alternative To Know in 2022
The alternatives to PayPal that we have reviewed below include the following efficient companies.
- Shopify Payments
- Google pay
- Quickbooks payments
- Amazon Pay
When comparing PayPal with the other alternatives available, Square is the top-rated company name that strikes the mind. Unlike the other alternatives, Square is not a standard payment processor for business. It includes a free domain and an online store and comes combined with a shopping cart, invoicing, and virtual terminal features.
There are also features like POS and mPOS integrations for the free-of-cost integrations for card processing.
Although Square has not gained as much popularity as PayPal, its use is only limited to the merchants from the US, UK, Australia, Canada, and Japan who can accept credit card payments.
Square has made progress with passing the time as it has been able to gain an increase in users all because of the excellent features that it has provided the users with, especially for the small businesses. One can also extend this platform by paying for the add-on solutions like the management of the employees, booking of an appointment, payroll, etc., along with the free features that Square is already offering for business.
In terms of the transaction fees, Square provides its users with reasonable rates. Overall, Square has provided excellent service to its clients with outstanding assistance as a part of the payment processing company.
- It is inclusive of an online store and domain for free.
- Square is said to be an all-in-one payment option, which is known to be quite comprehensive for business.
- If you want, you can add additional solutions for the escalating small businesses.
- These options are suitable, particularly for the merchants of low volume.
- Square is only accessible in countries like the UK, US, Australia, Japan, and Canada as a payment gateway.
- The accounts of Square can be relatively unstable as it is a third-party payment feature for businesses.
- We do not suggest using this as it can be a risky task for high-risk merchants for business.
Shopify payments can be related to your experience of using Shopify. This is an in-built alternative for the payment processing system built and received as a Shopify platform, which is inclusive of everything mentioned above. So you are relieved from the worry of embedding a different payment gateway that is external.
You can easily access the payment transaction with the assistance of the processing system available at the Shopify dashboard menu. So, in the end, Shopify is a combination between the payment system and the online store for business.
It is a fact that Shopify Payments is not just inclusive of the payments for the online business, and it also provides the clients with features like POS hardware, which supports the payments made in-store.
If you are not fascinated by the payments made with Shopify, the privileges included in their Shopify payments company will take you by surprise for business. When one uses PayPal on the Shopify platform, it will require paying extra transaction fees for 0.5-2%, adding to the card’s processing charges.
In the case of Shopify payments, you will have to pay no transaction fees for the business. The maximum that you will have to pay for processing rates can rise to 2.9% at $0.30 for each transaction, and the lowest can be 2.4% at $0.30.
- Shopify online payment offers us an efficient payment management system for businesses.
- The transaction fee per transaction is eliminated using PayPal for business.
- One can easily embed the online payment method with third-party processors for business.
- The online payment option is only accessible in some countries.
- The merchant account can be investigated and frozen without any prior warning.
- For every transaction, the payment processor deducts $15 for business.
Another payment method involved as an alternative is the Payline, which provides us with a wide range of solutions, inclusive of the online, mobile, and payments made in-store. Payline supports the eCommerce system for checkout as it is perfect for the payments made in the store.
Payline is comparatively cheaper and more flexible than PayPal regarding facilities they provide for retail businesses. The regular static pricing schedule is not underused in Payline. It instead provides its clients with solutions like changes in the pricing system. Credit card processing will determine the number of transaction fees.
The payment processing space comprises a very transparent model known as the interchange model. The only drawback that is faced by the clients is to forecast their expenses for future use.
Using Payline, you will have to pay fewer charges for offline transactions, while with PayPal, you will need to pay a fixed rate of 2.7 % every time. If you are a person who is more comfortable with the mobile card reader, then the surge and spark packages from the Payline will fascinate you. More importantly, for the small business owners, these packages are considerably well-tailored and cheap.
Massive enterprises can prefer going in for the Payline shopping package. This can be the most expensive option, but the perks of using this include tabletop card readers and reliable card processing functions and resources. On the other hand, PayPal can deliver its clients with two card readers for its store card processing, which is relatively inflexible. Above all of that, amongst the two card readers provided by PayPal, only one is available with EMV support.
- Payline can offer credit card processing packages with solid hardware.
- The offline payment systems or the transaction fee is less than that of PayPal per transaction.
- It has a high-quality API to perform all the integrations effectively.
- Payline is available only in the US.
- The eCommerce payment processing system is no match to that of PayPal.
- It is quite challenging to forecast the fees that may incur per transaction.
TransferWise is a cheaper payment method that is the perfect alternative for PayPal in terms of international transfer. The clients of the consumers help send and receive online businesses their payments and easily spend the money all over the countries and across the borders with the least amount of transaction fees.
These excellent features by the TransferWise have been included in their account for the multi-currency borderless clients. TransferWise is known to eliminate all the hidden charges and is dependent on the upfront transfer fee. The movement of the money within the clients and the payment method also seems quite fascinating.
Consider an example that you currently reside in the US and want to transfer money to France to a friend.
When you initiate the payment, it goes straight away into the Bank of the TransferWise, which is American. The payment is then made to your friend with the help of the bank accounts in France with the assistance of the real exchange rate. Thus, the money, on the whole, will never cross borders, keeping the rates very low and transferring the cash even faster.
- It is the most widely accepted tool that is also relatively cheap for merchant accounts’ fraud protection.
- Their pricing is also very transparent.
- You can be assured of faster transactions and reduced costs as your money is not crossing any border.
- From the point of sale, you cannot get paid or send money unless it’s a bank transfer.
- One can only receive money in the EUR, USD, GBP, AUD with the borderless merchant accounts.
2Checkout lies amongst the best PayPal alternatives, which is high because it enables the clients to receive all the payments from across the Globe.
While you are using PayPal, you are still provided with limited access in some countries, so you cannot receive clients’ payments in these countries with PayPal. 2Checkout offers more alternatives than PayPal, as it is accessible in nearly all countries.
The fees offered by the 2Checkout in the US are nearly the same that PayPal was offering, so 2Checkout is the perfect PayPal alternative. But it is a known fact that these countries can enjoy improved rates when receiving payments from PayPal. One can always calculate the amount of payment pricing to figure out whether 2Checkout is more pocket-friendly than PayPal in our country.
- There is no need for you to pay the monthly fees.
- One can choose amongst the 87 currencies, which has payment options of up to 8 for the merchants.
- The recurring bill can be set up for the merchants.
- One hundred online charts, sandbox, API, etc., can be added for the integrations.
- For every chargeback, at least $30 accepts credit is charged for the merchants.
- The currency conversion fees are 2-5% over the bank rate exchange.
Payoneer shares many similarities with Skrill as it offers you an online account and debit card. To send and accept money while you are shopping online with Payoneer, which has now gained immense popularity, should be just a process of a single step without any hassle.
The debit card offers you the primary benefit while using the Payoneer. With the help of that, you can also access your account in the ATM. It also provides its services in a brick-and-mortar store to utilize the Payoneer account.
Payoneer has been able to extend its branches into the world market of global payments, which provides the users with the tools to receive the payment and send the payment between the merchants and the marketplaces by the Payoneer.
- Payoneer can be used all over the world.
- Setting up an account with Payoneer is very easy and hassle-free.
- Their monthly fees are very reasonable and excellent for the payments between the merchant accounts.
- The customer support system is not very good, like PayPal.
- For small businesses, accepting credit cards will yield high rates in fees.
Skrill has also been able to offer nearly all similar features when compared to PayPal in terms of the rates and fees for Skrill. Skrill is one of the best PayPal alternatives as it shows the users the debit card, which is prepaid, and the straightforward interface is considerably the best.
Using the Skrill for initiating the International payments is comparatively very easy to use as the money can be transferred and sent to the debit card, which is then sent by the company to you. It provides you with the option of using the debit card whenever you wish to use the card, which can also be used at the ATMs.
- Setting up an account with Skrill is very easy.
- If you want to accept payments, you can simply handle it with your email address.
- The merchant account can be accessed anywhere in the Globe.
- The customer support provided by Skrill is not that good.
- The company has a fraud protection tool, so even your account can get frozen at times.
Stripe is amongst the popular PayPal alternative for personal use, and it is the most preferred payment processor for eCommerce platforms.
Let’s say, for example, Squarespace has been able to work along with the online platforms for quite a long time now, and then Shopify provides them with their Shopify payments system with the assistance of Stripe. So precisely, Stripe’s whole concept is to eliminate the gateway and the merchant account requirement.
Stripe has been able to handle everything beginning from collecting the payments from the clients to sending the payments to the bank account.
These payments are also inclusive of the bitcoin transactions and the ACH payments. Stripe is considered to be amongst the most streamlined PayPal alternatives, and it is no surprise that most of the payment platforms are making their partnership with them. Even the regular transaction fees are also similar to that of PayPal.
- Stripe is known to transfer money using credit cards or debit cards.
- Stripe has the option of mobile payment.
- The feature for real-time reporting is available at Stripe.
- The international credit card processor for Stripe charges 1% transaction fees.
- Stripe requires programming knowledge.
If you consider storing your debit card and credit card, google wallet offers its clients seller protection in Google pay. It is straightforward to spend your money in online stores, and one can always add all of their cards to their phone for ease of access, even in the physical stores, by using Google pay.
- Google pay assists you in accepting payments from customers online or in physical mode.
- The payment can be sent or received in a few seconds by the merchants or the customers.
- The security is known to be robust.
- The security is still a bit scary.
- It is still limited to Apple pay and certain Android phones only.
The Authorize.net system has gained immense popularity with its methods. These methods include the online stores that have offered their users a platform at reasonable rates, premium customer service, and an interface accessible by nearly everyone with authorize.net.
The only drawback of authorize.net is that they do not allow you to send and receive money between your family and friends. Authorize.net is an alternative to PayPal, which offers the users high quality for the clients interested in accepting the payments and experience the most popular Authorize.net and widely used gateway on the Globe.
- Authorize net is used by nearly 400,000 merchant account.
- Along with the account provided to the customers, they also get a mobile app and a swiper.
- The best feature is the free 24/7 customer support.
- They charge you back at $25.
- The monthly fees for the gateway are around $25.
It is an excellent alternative to PayPal as it delivers you with an enormous set of tools that depend on your business requirements. The QuickBooks payment is famous for its services, and you can also get paid with the QuickBooks tool’s assistance. It is also known to be the best solution for an alternative to PayPal for integrating Quickbooks with the accounting functionality.
- Quickbooks is integrated.
- The TurboTax is gained access.
- They also accept the ACH transfers by the bank.
- If you are not running with QuickBooks, the rates can be competitive.
- If you are seeking payment processors for just exchanging online payments, then this is not your solution.
Dwolla is not the interface that usually strikes the users’ minds, but the features available with Dwolla are quite similar to that of PayPal. It also provides you with the ability to send and receive payments from clients and companies.
The best feature is that the company is highly specialized in ACH bank transfers. If you consider sending and accepting many transfers through the bank, then the Dwolla seems to be the perfect alternative to PayPal.
Dwolla is not a card processing solution like PayPal. It is known to provide facilities for the transaction of funds, which can be done directly by linking the Dwolla with the bank account.
The elimination of the cards lowers the cost of the fee transaction. Dwolla’s main objective is to help everyone with the help of a web-enabled device that is used to send the money at the reduced prices with the assistance of the payment solution.
The payment provider Dwolla does not charge its clients with any money used for the payment processing of the funds that lie under $10. Above the given price, online payments will charge you $0.25 for every single transaction.
With the Dwolla features, PayPal’s transaction charges appear too expensive in front of the Dwolla as it is 2.9% with $0.30. They look even more expensive while you are handling high-volume transactions. For instance, a merchant is processing a payment solution of 10 transactions, which is $100 each. With Dwolla, you will have to pay $2.50, but with PayPal, it will cost you around $32.
- They comprise potent tools for branding for business.
- It is straightforward to carry out bank transfers.
- The cash is instantly transferred.
- The monthly fees for the Dwolla business are quite expensive.
- If you are not residing in the US, then you cannot create an account with them.
In addition to the recurring billing and the payment gateway, the Braintree system can deliver you with assistance, so you will be able to store your credit cards, which is quite similar to google pay. Thus the Braintree can be the best alternative for PayPal. Braintree is also comprised of personal finance features, so it is the best to be used by the merchants. PayPal owns Braintree, but still, Braintree is running as a solely independent company that can compete finely with PayPal-like services.
- The very reasonable pricing is relatively straightforward even for the customers who have credit cards.
- In-store credit cards and features like recurring billing.
- They have a robust customer service system.
- For the payment processors to work efficiently, another merchant account is required.
- If you want to implement Braintree on a website, then you should have a little programming knowledge.
There was a time when WorldPay was known by the name RBS Worldpay. Worldpay is a payment processing interface in which most of the payment options are well supported, including debit cards and credit cards, which proves that it is one of the best PayPal alternatives. Worldpay’s network has extended worldwide, making it a massive competitor as the PayPal alternative.
The similarity shared by Worldpay and PayPal is that both the online and offline transactions by the card are well supported. So you can easily leverage Worldpay in your businesses for eCommerce and the ones in the store, which is similar to Paypal.
In terms of offline payments, the Worldpay payment processors can support a wide array of channels. If you want to accept payments for the credit card and cash, you can benefit from the POS systems and the ATM processing, and the mobile payment function will help you receive the money and the credit card payments.
Worldpay is also known to extend their diversity for the features like the pricing schedule built to deliver us with both tiered and the packages that have been interchanged. The amount that you are supposed to pay for the alternatives of PayPal highly depends upon the average processing volume per month. Still, it will also be dependent on the history of your transactions. It may cost you around 2.9%, with an additional $0.30 for every transaction.
- A constant 24/7 support system is offered by the world pay to its customers.
- They have a flexible pricing schedule for all business customers.
- Many third-party options are supported by it for the customers.
- You have to sign up for a contract that will last for at least three years.
- The offer for a free terminal is quite misleading for business customers.
Amazon payments are standing at the top in the leading company of the best PayPal alternatives to attract more customers towards its store. It has features that are very similar to its alternative that is PayPal. But does not provide us with the ACH payments and also the bitcoin transactions.
One can also compare it with a Facebook login where the user’s information is already there for online and mobile payments. Thus amazon pay will provide us with the login or the checkout transaction fee and that, which will be comparatively significantly faster than the shopping cart or the other checkout options.
- Amazon pay offers a similar transaction amount, just like PayPal.
- Amazon pay can offer an easy signup process.
- Programming knowledge is required for the merchants to like the businesses with Amazon pay.
- The fees from the third party processing, cross border processing also exist in amazon pay.
The AI system of Klarna has made it possible to be the best alternative to PayPal. It provides a quick analysis of the client’s risk, which is highly based on the details, including the time of the purchase and the history of the transaction. It can approve or deny the purchase amount within a fraction of seconds and then finally proceed to the bank transfers’ fulfillment.
The customers are delivered 14 days to clear their recurring payments. In short, this means that the customers can shop freely, so it provides them with an excellent user experience as mostly all the risk is on the hands of Klarna. In simple terms, the payment processor has a deep involvement with the fulfillment of the eCommerce order.
There is also a fascinating fact that you do not need to sign up with the service to be in direct contact with the bank. You can just proceed with the initial banking details with the authentication and your international payments. The other payments are made with the transaction fee included and processed into the merchant account.
So in comparison to the hectic process that we all undergo while using PayPal, like first registering and then loading your account with Klarna, you will be able to do the transactions without the hefty procedure.
- The customers can purchase goods and pay later after the delivery is done, even in apple pay by merchants and businesses.
- The shopper can also pay using apple pay in installments by merchants and businesses.
- They sometimes, without any reason, decline the purchase.
- The customer service is not suitable for merchants and businesses.
WePay was launched in the market to provide substantial competition to PayPal as a PayPal alternative as Wepay.
Wepay is known to be a credit card processing solution that supports online money transfers. But there is still a development framework that requires to be processed to complement that. But obviously, the absence of the brick and mortar support will not let the WePay limit its functionalities. One can always quickly and efficiently capitalize on the features that are secure to facilitate regular eCommerce transactions.
Even after considering all the options for the features of the Wepay, we have found out that WePay can work efficiently in comparison with the Paypal alternatives in terms of crowdfunding. It is a fact that the features and the API have been optimized for money transactions, which can also accept credit and gift cards for the various types of payment options.
WePay is also able to work effectively with the third-party payments option. But it is also an interesting fact that one cannot accept PayPal’s payments using Wepay.
While using Wepay, one can only come across a fee of $0.30 plus 0 2.9% for every card transaction made and an additional $0.30 plus 0 2.9%, which is an exchange rate for the ACH payment processing. That will be all that you will have to pay as Wepay is not going to charge any additional cost for anything else.
- Wepay provides businesses with API flexibility.
- The payment done with ACH are comparatively cheaper.
- It does not work with PayPal to receive payments for small to large businesses.
- It lacks in-store card processing for businesses.
Which PayPal alternative should you consider?
It is entirely understood why certain people are not very comfortable shifting from PayPal because there is a massive list of compatibility issues that begin to rise. But that has not been the case any longer as now you can have access to many of the reliable subscription plans and visual terminals through other payment methods that help you send money anywhere in the world for businesses.
The recurring billing for the virtual terminal, checkout process, credit card processing, etc., are some of the available features. We are not recommending you to leave PayPal here wholly.
We are just giving you some idea about the other payment methods like PayPal, which can be the perfect PayPal alternative for online payments and the additional payment system used in businesses. You have no idea maybe the other online payments may not cost you that much, and you will be able to save a lot of money per transaction.
The options discussed above for online payments are the best for personal bank accounts and small businesses to send and receive money.
If you seek to find the perfect duplicate PayPal alternative, we recommend going in for the Dwolla or Skrill. If you are considering carrying complete transactions all over the country, you can go for the 2Checkout.
For storing cards, one can consider using Google checkout, and in terms of excellent eCommerce transactions, one can consider using the Authorize net and Stripe. In the case of International Payments, TransferWise is also accounted for being the best to be used by the bank account.