Grammarly has become a staple among writers, copywriters, professionals, students, and other people who want to write and produce impeccable and error-free texts. The popular program offers a variety of tools to correct texts of all kinds, including spell check, grammar check, clarity, engagement, delivery, plagiarism, and more.
With Grammarly, you can ensure that your writing is correct without any small errors like wrong capitalization, a missing comma or hyphen, and more.
Plus, with its built-in AI technology, you can receive assistance for improving your writing by using the right words and restructuring your sentences and paragraphs for better clarity and easier reading.
Grammarly also can be used to correct your writing when posting on social media, writing an e-mail, and others, thanks to the Chrome extension.
The questions are, is Grammarly the best option, and are there other better alternatives to the popular grammar correction tool?
Here is a brief summary of what you will learn from our in-depth review of Grammarly and the best Grammarly alternatives on the market:
- Grammarly – An Overview
- List Of The Top Grammarly Alternatives
- Comparison Of Grammarly And Its Competitors
- #1) ProWritingAid – Recommended
- #2) WhiteSmoke
- #3) Sapling
- #4) Ginger
- #5) PaperRater
- #6) Reverso
- #7) SentenceCheckup
- #8) Hemingway App
- #9) LanguageTool
- #10) Slick Write
- Recommended Reading
Grammarly – An Overview
You can check out the official website of Grammarly here.
One of the best features of Grammarly is the fact that users don’t need to download and install additional software in order to use the powerful text correction tool. The available extensions and the free version are powerful enough to do the job by themselves.
Grammarly has an intuitive and easy to navigate dashboard which shows which documents you worked on recently, your apps, your user profile, and more.
You can use the dashboard to proofread any inserted text easily, as Grammarly will detect any spelling, grammatical or style-related mistakes automatically.
The other benefits of using Grammarly:
- Your writing will improve immensely, and you will be able to create and edit larger text volumes faster
- You can use it for getting your text corrected on any browser, e-mail, text editor, or other platforms
- Grammarly can also be used to check for plagiarism and to create citations for your text
- The tool will automatically scan for 400+ grammar rules
- Your text will become more comprehensive and easy to read as you will find that Grammarly will help you express yourself much more cohesively and give your writing a more professional outlook, with fewer spelling errors, passive voice instances and others
Here are some of the main features of Grammarly worth noting:
- Grammarly works with the most popular operating systems, including Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android, Microsoft Word, MS Office and more
- The grammar checker dashboard is simple, easy to navigate and use
- There are a built-in plagiarism checker and proofreader
- The AI technology will find errors and problems in the text, even in larger blocks of text
- Grammarly has extensions for all popular internet browsers, including Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and more
- There are add-ins for MS Word, MS Outlook, Native apps for Windows and Mac, Keyboards for Android and iOS, and Google Docs support
- There are nifty features like access to documents from multiple devices, personal dictionary, vocabulary improvement suggestions, performance statistics, and more
Grammarly Usage Statistics
Statistics by Similar Web show that Grammarly has total monthly visits by 55.50 million users, with an average visit duration of 2:05 minutes.
According to medium.com, the stats show that Grammarly has 6.9 million users per day and that the free Chrome extension by the grammar checker has been downloaded more than 10 million times.
Overall, the statistics show that Grammarly is a top-preferred tool among users around the world.
You can set up a completely free account at Grammarly here.
Grammarly offers the following subscriber plans:
- Free – for individual users and for basic spell checking and grammar checking
- Premium – for use for school and work, including all advanced options – starting at $11.66 per month
- Business – for teams and enterprises starting at $12.50 per month
- Education – for students and tutors – the prices as customized to the needs of the educational institution
Why look for Grammarly alternatives?
Here are some of the cons of using Grammarly, which may prompt you to opt for a Grammarly alternative:
- The free version is somewhat limited and offers basic spelling, punctuation and grammar checking and basic suggestions
- The program may not work with all platforms and apps
- The company has an aggressive advertising and upselling strategy which will keep prompting you to upgrade to a premium paid plan
- It is still not as good as relying on a human proofreader
- The monthly prices can be hefty for occasional or casual users
- Sometimes, correct text and grammar will be marked as wrong
Thankfully, there are some excellent Grammarly alternatives on the market, most of which come with a free trial. This will allow you to test them before choosing the best Grammarly alternatives for your specific needs and preferences.
List of the Top Grammarly Alternatives
Here is our list of the best Grammarly alternatives for 2021, along with brief summaries of the features, pricing, pros, and cons.
- Hemingway App
- Slick Write
Comparison of Grammarly and Its Competitors
Read on to find out how each of these Grammarly alternatives compares to the famous grammar checker. Hopefully, this will help you make the best-informed decision when choosing the most suitable spell checking and proofreading tool for your specific needs.
#1) ProWritingAid – Recommended
ProWritingAid is our top recommended alternative to Grammarly. The platform provides grammar and style checking, style editing, in-depth reports, suggestions, and interactive tools to help improve your writing and more.
In fact, ProWritingAid acts more like a personal tutor for each user and will help improve their writing via fun and interactive quizzes, videos, articles, and more.
ProWritingAid is compatible with Google Docs, Microsoft Office, internet browser extensions (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Safari), desktops, mobile devices, and more.
The platform is among the top picks by professional authors of fiction and non-fiction, as well as by content writers, bloggers, business writers, students, and more.
- 20+ types of in-depth reports including style, summary, repetitiveness, clichés, passive voice, adverb over-dependence, sticky, alliteration, length of sentences, combo, transitions, diction, plagiarism, thesaurus, and more
- It integrates easily with Google Chrome and Google Docs, as well as with Microsoft Suite, Scrivener, Apache Open Office, and others
- There is an included Thesaurus, which you can use to improve your text with more suitable suggestions and synonyms for your words
- The manuscript checking tool will help find repeated words and provide you with suggestions for improving the style and the readability of the overall text
- Thanks to the in-app suggestions, videos, articles, explanations, and videos, you can learn better writing skills easily as you go
- It will detect all embarrassing spelling and grammar errors
- Thanks to the internet browser extensions, you can use the tool to check your e-mails, social media posts, and others
- You can create your own customized automated rules for the spelling checker and proofreading tool
- It offers useful data visualization for in-depth analysis of your writing and for improving it
The prices for individual use of ProWritingAid are:
- $20 per month
- $79 per year
- A one-off payment of $399 for lifetime use
The price plans for businesses are:
- Individual – $6 per month when paid annually for a single user
- Teams – $8 per month per user when paid annually
- Enterprise – the price is custom-tailored
The prices for academic usage come with a discount of 20%.
Also, there are discounts of 10-25% when paying for multiple licenses simultaneously.
There is also a free plan which has the basic features and a 14-day free trial.
- The free version is quite limited
- There is no library of your documents
ProWritingAid is one of the best options for all types of writers, as well as for self-editing, and for learning how to improve your writing.
It has more in-depth reports and features, such as a Thesaurus than Grammarly, and is offered in a free version as well as pricing plans for all types of needs and uses.
You can read more about the ProWritingAid and its features and prices here.
WhiteSmoke is a fully integrated tool that will ensure that any text you write is free of embarrassing spelling and grammar errors and will also help you correct mistakes in the writing style, and help you improve your overall writing, seamlessly.
The WhiteSmoke tool uses AI and Natural Language Processing, which will check and analyze any content and will detect mistakes, providing you with the best suggestions for corrections.
- The Natural Language Processing (NLP) tech uses AI and algorithms to help analyze your written content and come up with the best suggestions for corrections and improvement
- The WhiteSmoke layout is user-friendly, and the software is constantly being updated in accordance with customer’s requests and suggestions
- It will detect errors and will suggest the best correction options
- It includes a grammar, spelling, style, punctuation checker as well as a built0in translator option
- Suitable for professional and for new writers, students, and even for English language learners
- Web – for online writing starts at $5.00 per month when billed annually
- Premium WhiteSmoke – for Windows and Mac starts at $6.66 per month when billed annually
- Business WhiteSmoke– for Windows and Mac starts at $11.50 a month when billed annually
- Users complain of unreliable customer support
WhiteSmoke is an affordable all-in-one solution for beginners and for advanced writers. It will correct errors, make intelligent suggestions for corrections and improvement, and relies on Artificial Intelligence and special algorithms to help you produce the best writing possible.
You can check out the WhiteSmoke features and prices here.
Sapling is another popular CRM and messaging platform which is designed to help customer care teams prepare and compose flawless personalized responses to customer inquiries.
It includes an efficient checker for spelling mistakes and grammatical errors powered by an AI machine-learning system, which can detect more than 60% of the writing quality issues in millions of English language sentences.
The Sapling messaging platform can be used as a browser extension for the different web apps, which include text input, including Gmail, Zendesk, and Salesforce.
It includes a useful and correct Autocomplete Everywhere technology, which will provide the users with suggestions for the most relevant response to an inquiry. These responses come from a knowledge bank and make customer response easier, faster, and more efficient.
With the help of this alternative to Grammarly, customer support will become faster, better, and well-organized even when the volumes are big.
- Team-based knowledge bank and configuration for correcting grammatical errors in content
- Designed for better customer support
- Useful suggestions for the best phrases and words for a reply
- Uses artificial intelligence and machine learning to adapt to your writing style
- There is a free plan
- The premium plan starts at $25 per month
- There is no add-on or extension for the Safari internet browser
It is a great option for English language improvement, especially for people in the customer support sphere.
Check out the Sapling website here.
Ginger Software is a relatively new grammar checkup started by an Israel-based startup company in 2020.
With Ginger, your writing will be corrected as you write, no matter whether you are writing a post on Facebook, and e-mail on Gmail, your resume on LinkedIn, or you are working on a document in MS Office, Microsoft Word or other editing tools.
The grammar checker uses natural language processing and is designed to improve your writing and your productivity.
Ginger Software includes a grammar checker, a dictionary, a sentence rephrase, a content reader, as well as options for translations in 50 languages or a personal English tutor.
- It uses natural language processing
- It is designed to improve your writing skills and enhance your performance
- It works on all platforms and browsers, like Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Chrome, Safari, and more
- There is word prediction, a sentence rephrase tool, a translator, and even a personal English language trainer included
- You can download it for Chrome for free
- There are premium plans which start at $6.66 per month when paid for 2 years
- It is not available for Google Docs
This is a very useful tool that will ensure that every word you write on any platform will be checked before sending or posting it. It can save you a lot of time and will help improve your writing skills over time.
You can check out the official website of Ginger Software here.
PaperRater is a top preferred Grammarly substitute by students and other users who want quick and free access to a reliable spell and grammar checker, as well as a plagiarism checker for an essay, paper, or any other written work.
You don’t need to install any software or upload your work. Just paste it on the website form, and it will be checked immediately.
The spell checker uses artificial intelligence as well as data science for precise grammar and spell checks, and word choice suggestions.
Your paper will actually be rated in less than 15 seconds.
- Powered by AI algorithms for a highly efficient spell and grammar checks and word suggestions in real-time
- You can rate your plagiarism score and get a percentage of the originality of your text
- It includes a nifty vocabulary builder and suggestions
- It has an auto-scoring system so you get a rough idea of how your essay or paper will be rated
- It is easy and quick to use
- You can use the Paper rater completely free online
- There is a free and premium version which is offered at a price starting from $14.45 a month
Paper Rater is among the best Grammarly alternatives for students who want to check their work for errors and plagiarism, as well as get a grade estimate via a free plan online.
You can read more about PaperRater at its official website here.
Reverso is a web-based translation tool that will allow you to translate any written content from and to English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Hebrew, and other languages in a matter of minutes.
You can use it for translating short texts, words, and idioms. Plus, it includes a built-in spell checker for the original and the translated content.
- No need for downloads the translation and spell checking tool work instantly online
- It offers accurate translations of short texts, phrases, words, and others
- It includes a guide for the pronunciation of the translated content
- You can get real-time word and phrase suggestions or share your results directly with others
- It includes a keyboard for special symbols for creating content in another language
- The web-based translation tool is free when used for texts which are up to 2,500 words
- There is also a paid option, where you will pay according to the text size, or you can ask for custom-tailored pricing depending on your needs.
Reverso is an easy-to-use, free tool for translating short texts and words, including a spell check, word suggestions, pronunciation guides, and other useful features.
Find out more about Reverso here.
SentenceCheckup is another free online tool that will check your text for spelling and grammar mistakes in either British and American English.
It will also suggest more suitable words and correct sentence structure for the sentences or short text you have pasted.
- It a free online tool that can be used without downloading or installing any software
- It offers a spelling, a grammar checker and a deep check
- It will suggest better words and remove errors via the built-in advanced machine learning algorithms
- It is 100% free, with no premium paid plans
There are not as many advanced features as with some of the paid premium proofreading tools like Grammarly
SentenceCheckup is a quick and easy online tool to use for small texts and quick corrections. It is completely free and easy to access and use at all times.
You can find out more about SentenceCheckup here.
#8) Hemingway App
Hemingway Editor is an online editor that will help you improve your writing skills by correcting your grammar and spelling and also suggesting better alternatives. The proofreading software will also help by providing feedback on which sentences are hard to read, and advice on whether you need to improve your written content by reducing the number of adverbs or passive voice used.
- You can easily paste your content or write directly in the editor for instant text correction and improvement
- You will get useful suggestions on how to improve the readability, clarity, and style of your writing
- It can be used to publish content into WordPress or Medium directly after correcting it
- You can share the results and your work from the website or desktop app
- You can use the grammar checker tool, style editor and proofreading software for short texts for free online
- The Windows and Mac apps cost $19.99 as a one-time payment
- There are no browser extensions or plugins available
This is among the best and most affordable Grammarly alternatives if you strive to improve your writing skills and style when expressing yourself in English.
You can check out the official Hemingway Editor website here.
LanguageTool is a web-based proofreading tool, which is also available as a browser extension for Chrome, Firefox, or Edge and will check your spelling, detect grammatical errors, sentence structure and writing styles as you write.
It can detect errors in English, German, French and other languages.
The online tool is free to use, and there are enterprise and premium plans which include advanced features suitable for businesses, writers, and others.
- Available as an open-source online tool or as a browser extension
- Checks for errors in English, German, French and more languages
- It has an autocorrect function
- There is also a personal dictionary that you can customize
- You can check texts up to 20,000 characters with the free tool
- The premium starts at $4.92 per month
- The enterprise plan starts at $39 per month
- No plagiarism check is included
This open-source Grammarly alternative is available in several languages, including French and German, and offers free grammar and spell checks, as well as style corrections and corrections for free for up to 20,000 characters.
You can find out more about LanguageTool at its website here.
#10) Slick Write
Slick Write is another great Grammarly alternative and grammar tool for any need and writing skill level. It is a tool that is easy and quick to use and will check for grammar and spelling errors, help the writer engage your audience better, and provide useful feedback to improve your writing.
You can use it to write your content directly or use the Chrome or Firefox extensions offered.
- It is lightning fast and completely free
- You will get feedback to help improve your writing skills and your grades
- The tool will help you write more engaging texts
- Perfect for students and for advanced writers alike
- It has a free plan only and no premium plan
- Some people may find the user interface of the editor not as intuitive as others
Slick Write is a Grammarly alternative that will teach any writer how to write better by providing you with instant error correction, feedback on how to improve, and how to make the content more engaging. It is completely free, and most people find it easy to use.
You can check out the Slick Write website here.
As you can see, there are some excellent alternatives for Grammarly for every need, device, platform, writer skill level, and budget. There are grammar checkers, spelling checkers, readability analysis, statistical machine translation, web-based and desktop app writing software products and tools like Grammarly, suitable for any writer.
Hopefully, we have helped you find the best Grammarly alternative for your specific needs and requirements, and it will help you improve your writing skills and bring you success in your studies, communications, and work.