Are you planning on traveling and taking your Fire Stick with you but still want access to all the content available in your home country?
With the help of a VPN, you can easily connect to a virtual private network server, and protect your identity and online activity, as well as unblock any geo-restricted content in the country you are residing in.
Even better, you can find some completely free VPNs for FireStick, as well as some affordable VPNs which come with the full functionality, protection, and reliability offered by the leading VPN providers in the world.
NordVPN is the best VPN for FireStick in 2020 because it has very fast connection speeds and will not cause buffering and lag while you are streaming content via your Amazon Fire TV Stick. Plus, it has various other advantages, and best of all, you can try it out risk-free thanks to the Company’s 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here is a list of the best free VPN for FireStick for 2020, and all of the information you will need to start using a VPN with your Fire TV Stick right away!
A brief summary for those of you in a hurry
- NordVPN – this is the best overall VPN for Fire Stick and for streaming, which offers unlimited data and bandwidth, lightning-fast speeds, and comes with a 30-day money-back satisfaction guarantee.
- Windscribe – you can use this VPN for FireStick completely free of charge, with up to 10GB of data every month, sufficient for streaming in HD quality for 3 or more hours. Still, the free plan does have its limitations, including lower speeds, fewer servers, and limited data.
- Hide.me – this is another free VPN that will allow you to connect to one of five free servers and enjoy watching your favorite movies and shows via your Fire TV Stick within the limits of 10GB per month.
You can test how NordVPN works with your Amazon FireStick and other devices here.
The best free VPNs for Amazon Fire TV Stick for 2020
After thorough testing and reviewing of over 10 different free VPNs with FireStick Fire TV, we have come with the ultimate top best free VPN for FireStick list for 2020.
A useful tip: While testing and using the free VPN of your choice, remember to reconnect to another VPN server if you stumble upon blocked content or connectivity problems during the streaming.
So, let’s take a look at the features, pros, and cons of the best almost free and completely free VPNs for Fire TV Stick as of December 2020.
- Very easy and quick to install on FireStick Fire TV
- Thanks to the SmartPlay technology, you can easily access the shows and movies you want despite any geo-restrictions in your area
- Thanks to the ultra-fast connections, you can watch your favorite shows and movies without buffering or interruptions
- The Fire Stick VPN doesn’t limit the bandwidth or speed for a frustration-free and enjoyable media streaming experience
- You can use the VPN on up to 6 devices simultaneously, including Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, and more
- There are more than 5,400 servers in 59 countries you can choose to connect to
- You can set it up on your home router and thus ensure that each connected device at home, including computers, phones, tablets, consoles, TVs, streaming devices, and more are protected
- The Company has a no-logging policy and will not save or provide your personal information to third parties
- It is based in Panama, which is a privacy-friendly country, and non-member of the 5/9/14 Eyes Alliance for surveillance intelligence
- The Fire TV and Fire Stick VPN successfully unblock geo-blocked libraries and content on Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, BBC iPlayer, Sling TV, Disney+, and more
- There are built-in ad-blocking and malware protection
- Your ISP will not be able to detect the VPN or your data usage, so there will be no throttling
- You can use the VPN for secure torrenting as well
- A Kill Switch will keep your identity and activities protected even if the connection fails
- There is useful 24/7 live chat customer help available
- You can try it risk-free for a month, thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee
NordVPN is among the leading VPN services in the world and is preferred due to its reliability, fast speeds, and ease of use.
The native FireStick app by the Company is easy to find, download, and install via a quick search of NordVPN on the FireStick Fire TV devices home screen.
The app itself is intuitive, and you don’t need to be a tech wiz to navigate through it and use it. All you need to do is pick a nearby server and connect. If you are looking to unblock geo-restricted content, then you should connect to a server in the country where the content is open and unrestricted.
No complicated configurations are needed, so you can get it up and going in a few minutes.
The NordVPN Fire Stick app will not disrupt your streaming experience, as the connections are some of the fastest in the industry, with no buffering and frustrating stopping. Thanks to the high speeds, you can use NordVPN to stream movies and other content in the highest resolution quality.
You can choose from over 5,400 VPN servers located in 59 countries and successfully unblock geolocation data restricted content on streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO Go, and many other streaming platforms.
Since the data usage and bandwidth are unlimited, you can use the VPN every day and watch as many movies and shows as you want. At the same time, you can ensure that all of your other devices are protected as well because the subscription plan allows for using the VPN on up to 6 devices at the same time.
Even better, if you install it on your router, you can simultaneously protect every single internet-connected device on your home network with a single VPN connection.
Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) will not be able to detect that you are using a VPN or track your usage on your Amazon FireStick, so there is no danger of throttling due to heavy data usage either.
NordVPN offers military-grade 256-bit AES encryption, so your online activities can never be tracked by your ISP, authorities, trackers, or hackers. Your IP and DNS will be hidden and protected at all times, even if the connection to the server drops thanks to the Kill Switch.
The Company has a strict no-logging policy and is headquartered in Panama, which is not part of the international surveillance alliance known as 5/9/14 Eyes.
As an added bonus, the NordVPN app contains built-in malware protection and ad-blocker functionality, so you won’t be interrupted while enjoying videos on YouTube or other platforms.
Even if you have a problem setting up or using the VPN, you don’t have to worry, as the Company offers useful and quick 24/7 live chat customer support.
Plus, if you are not completely sure that you want to commit to NordVPN in the long-run, you will get a whole month to try it, thanks to the Company’s 30-day money-back guarantee.
If you decide to keep the service, we recommend that you sign up for an annual or biannual plan because the prices drop drastically for longer contracts.
You can try out the NordVPN for FireStick Fire TV for a whole month for free here.
- There is a completely free plan which you can use without giving your credit card and will receive 10GB of data per month, access to 10 servers and an added 5GB if you tweet and 1GB if you refer the service to a friend
- The free plan has a Kill Switch to keep you safe and anonymous if the connection drops
- If you decide to sign up for a paid plan, you will get access to servers in 63 countries, so you can override geo-restrictions on Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, BBC iPlayer, and other streaming platforms no matter where you are
- The app has integrated R.O.B.E.R.T. malware protection and ad blocking
- VPN users can install the app on all kinds of devices, including Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone, Linux, FireTV, Chrome, Firefox, and on their routers
- The VPN Service Company has a zero-logging policy
- It offers the highest and strongest encryption and authentication, including AES-256-bit, SHA512, and 4096-bit RSA
- You can also generate OpenVPN, WireGuard, IKEv2, and SOCKS configurations for all devices
- You will get a static IP
- Thanks to the Split Tunneling function, you can use the VPN while streaming or torrenting, and at the same time use your real IP to do your online banking simultaneously
- You can use the desktop app as a VPN secured Hotspot router and Firewall
Installing Windscribe on the FireStick is quick, easy, and requires no technical skills. All you need to do is search for Windscribe in the App Store on your device’s home page and install it. Or you can download it from the Amazon Windscribe for FireStick listing page here.
You can download it and start using it for free, but keep in mind that the free version offers 10GB of data per month, which is equal to about 3 hours of high definition resolution streaming via VPN. You can enjoy up to 10 hours of content in the lower SD quality for the free plan.
The good news is that the Company will reward you with an additional 5GB if you tweet its name (@Windscribecom) on Twitter, and you can also get 1GB of data for each referred friend.
If you don’t want to provide your email or other personal data, you can download and use the Windscribe app with a 2GB limit per month.
Once you have installed the free app, you just need to choose one of the 10 free servers available and click on Connect. Even if your connection fails, you will remain protected via the Kill Switch, which is available even for free users.
Unfortunately for users looking for the best free VPN for streaming, the Company offers access to its dedicated Windflix servers, which are optimized for Netflix, only if you upgrade to a paid plan.
With a Windscribe paid plan, you will gain access to all of the servers in 63 countries, so you will be able to access geo-blocked content on Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming platforms almost anywhere.
Plus, the paid Windscribe subscription offers added features like Split Tunneling, built-in malware protection, and ad blocking, and you can install it and use it on just about any other device you want to, even on your router.
Windscribe offers the highest grade encryption and authorization and has a strict zero-log policy, so you don’t have to worry about your IP, data usage, and other personal information being provided to third parties.
With Windscribe, you can enjoy safe and seamless Amazon TV Stick watching with one of the best free VPN services wherever you go.
You can try out the Windscribe VPN service for free or check out its reasonably priced paid plans here.
- You can use the 100% free FireStick VPN plan for as long as you want
- You will get 10GB of usage per month and access to 5 servers on 1 device for the free VPN plan
- If you decide to upgrade to a paid plan, you can enjoy some advanced features like Split Tunneling, a fixed IP address, dynamic port forwarding, unlimited traffic, and streaming
- The Company has 1,800 servers in 72 different locations, but no dedicated servers for streaming or torrenting
- The Fire Stick app can be downloaded and used for free for a lifetime as well
- It is easy to install and use and will select the best server for your needs automatically
- It has an auto-reconnect feature to keep your streaming experience frustration-free
- The Company has a strict no-logs policy
- There is an Automatic Kill Switch for IP leak protection
- The VPN offers the highest level AES 256-bit encryption and the latest and most secure VPN protocols
- You can install the VPN on just about any device you use
- It is a great choice for geo-unblocking and streaming content from Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, sports streams, and more platforms and websites
- There is a useful2 4/7 live chat customer service
Hide.me is another one of the best free VPN providers for Fire Stick for 2020 and offers users a lifetime free VPN for Fire TV Stick or for any other device and operating system, including Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox.
The free VPN is restricted to 10GB per month, which is perfect for average internet use, but will be enough for you to stream from 3 to 10 hours of content depending on the resolution quality you choose.
The free VPN for Amazon Fire TV Stick offers access to five servers in different locations, but if you move on to a paid plan, you will get to choose among the 1,800 servers located in 72 locations.
Plus, the Fire Stick VPN app will connect you to the best server automatically and reconnect you if the connection drops. If the connection fails, your IP and internet activities will be momentarily hidden via the Kill Switch, as part of the security features offered.
The app is very easy to find and install on your Fire TV Stick, from the Amazon Appstore or partners store and you can start using it immediately without logging in or entering any personal information.
The VPN offers satisfactory speeds and will allow you to enjoy seamless streaming without lag or buffering.
With the free account, the content you can stream can be restricted to particular countries, streaming services and servers and to just several hours of viewing, but it is still one of the best completely free VPN options for Fire Stick users.
The Hide.me VPN offers some advanced tools and features like the leading VPN companies. Some of these include a Split Tunneling system, dynamic port forwarding, and more.
If you decide to sign up for the paid plans, keep in mind that Hide.me is not the cheapest of all VPNs. Still, you can get a great discount from the regular price if you sign up for a 24-month plan.
You can learn more about how to use the hide.me VPN on your Fire Stick for free here.
How we chose the best VPNs for Fire Stick
In order to come up with the best VPNs for Fire TV Stick for 2020, we tested and analyzed over 10 different free VPNs on our Amazon Fire TV Stick, using the same device, TV, and internet connection.
We selected and tested for the following essential features for picking the best VPN for Amazon Fire Stick:
- A native and easy to install Fire Stick VPN app
- The best and most data coverage offered for the free VPN service
- The speed of the connection for streaming without buffering
- Optimized servers for streaming
- Ability to bypass geo-blocks and VPN blocks
- The availability of helpful and timely customer support
- The best security and protection and strict privacy policies
Our choice for the best premium VPN for FireStick for 2020
As mentioned earlier, using a free VPN service has its disadvantages, including limited data, limited server connection options, limited speeds, limited devices, lack of added features, and more.
This is why we strongly recommend that you choose the best premium VPN for your needs instead.
With a reliable VPN you can enjoy infinite hours of streaming, access to blocked content, complete anonymity, protection from tracking and hacking, protection from throttling from your Internet Service Provider, and many more.
Here are our top 5 picks for the best paid VPNs for FireStick or Fire TV for 2020:
Is there a catch with completely free VPNs?
Companies that run VPNs need to invest a lot of finances into the datacenter structures, servers, maintenance, personnel, support, marketing, websites, and more, so providing a VPN service is definitely not cheap.
So, you can expect that if you use a free service, there will be a catch, which can be running ads, providing your usage data and location to marketing and other third parties, and upselling.
The best choice when picking a free VPN for FireStick is to opt for a free trial or money-back backed trial period of a premium VPN. These will not use your data for making extra money and are commonly funded by the subscriptions of the premium services.
Using these free trials is a great way to test the services and to see how they actually work with your Amazon Fire TV Stick or the other devices you will be using the VPN for.
So, why not try out one of the reasonably priced premium services like NordVPN and see for yourself whether it is worth paying for a premium Firestick VPN plan instead?
FAQs about free VPNs and FireStick
Q: How is the VPN installed on the FireStick?
A: If you choose a VPN that has a native VPN app for Fire TV Stick, then all you need to do, is perform a search on the home screen of your device and find the FireStick VPN app you want to install. Then install a VPN just like you would install any other app, and open it.
Q: Which free VPN for FireStick provides the most data?
Windscribe offers 10GB of free data per month if you register for the free service, and you can get an additional 5GB for tweeting the Company’s name on Twitter. It will give you 1GB of free data for every referred friend as well. It is the best VPN for FireStick for any user who wants to use a VPN completely free.
Hide.me offers 10GB of free Fire Stick VPN per month.
10GB is sufficient for light monthly internet usage, but for streaming, binge-watching, torrenting, gaming, and others, it will last you for less than a day and even for just a few hours if you watch high definition streams.
Q: Will the free VPN slow down my internet connection?
A: With any VPN, you can expect some delays in your internet traffic, especially if you are connected to a server that is far away from your country.
Unfortunately, most free VPN services further restrict their bandwidth and streaming or have low speeds due to the limited servers and the overcrowding, so if you want to be able to enjoy watching content via your FireStick or Fire TV without buffering, then you should opt for a premium VPN like NordVPN. A good VPN will not affect your speed, and in some cases, may even speed them up.
Q: Is using a free VPN safe?
A: All of our top picks for the best free VPN for FireStick offer the highest military-grade encryption, and have Kill Switches, and added security measures like DNS leak protection.
But there are some VPN services that will monetize from their free services by providing your data, location, and traffic with third parties.
The final verdict
While using a free VPN for FireStick may sound tempting, it may also involve risks and slowing down of your connection speed, which can make your viewing experience frustrating, to say the least.
This is why our recommendation is to choose a premium Fire TV Stick VPN and try it out via a free trial or its initial satisfaction guarantee period, which can range from 14 days to 45 days.