According to statistics, a growing percentage of internet users prefer watching online video content on all types of devices as compared to reading and browsing through images.
Now is the time to spend more time and resources in creating videos if you want to reach a wider audience, no matter whether you are an entrepreneur or if you want to popularize your personal website, blog, or other.
The question is how to create stunning and captivating personal or product videos without breaking the bank, and even better – without paying a cent for a video editing tool.
Thankfully, there are hundreds of video editing software options available on the market, and yes – many of them will allow you to create a professional-looking, beautiful video for free.
With these free video and audio editors, you can easily create a fantastic video and post it on your site, on Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, or anywhere else. You will soon see the results with the growing number of views, likes, and visits.
We have selected the top 24 best free video editing software options for 2021 and will present each one with its main features, pros, and cons so that you can select the best product for your specific needs. Our list is divided into sections, including the best free video editing software for use on desktops, the best for mobile use, and the best for Instagram.
Best Free Video Editing Software for Desktop
Even though most of us prefer to use our mobile phones and devices rather than sit on the desk, the truth is that if you want to create a complicated or long-format video, you should use a computer instead. Desktops are more powerful and allow for more intricate editing processes and functionalities.
Available for free for Windows, Windows Mobile, Mac, Linux, Steam, and as Source Code
Blender is one of the most popular video editing programs for computers. It is open-source software, and as such, the software is completely free to download, use, distribute, and others.
This video editing software is intended for use as a 3D animation program, but it is also an excellent video editor.
Blender offers basic and advanced tools that will allow you to create simple to rather complex videos.
You can cut and splice the video easily or use the video editing software for more advanced tasks such as motion tracking, compositing, color grading, video masking, 2D and 3D design, rigging and animating, simulation, background videos, and more.
The Blender video editing software includes useful functions such as a live preview, audio mixing, syncing, speed control, transitions, filters, adjustment layers, luma waveform, histogram displays, chroma vectorscope, 32 slots for adding content, and more.
The fact that the open-source editor has simple tools, and the best free video editing software as a whole has advanced capabilities makes Blender an excellent choice for newbies and for experts alike.
- Completely free to use, and every video you create is free too
- An excellent choice for people with more advanced tech skills
- A steep learning curve and multiple advanced functions which are not suitable for newbies
- It is more suitable for 3D animation projects rather than for simple video editing
- Not many resources and guides for the editor
Available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
The Lightworks video editing software is free to download and use on a desktop or laptop and is among the most powerful video creation packages in the world.
The Lightworks platform has been used for making cult films like Pulp Fiction, The Wolf of Wall Street, The King’s Speech, Hugo, and many more.
It is among the most powerful free video editing software tools on the market and has multiple primary and advanced features for any need and skill level.
This video editing software can be used completely free and has a user-friendly interface. Some of its main features include tools allowing for trimming and timeline editing, video and audio FX, and access to free video and audio content, plus Multicam support.
You can export your ready-made videos on YouTube in 720p and to Vimeo. Still, if you want to make them available in 4K resolution, or if you want to export them in other cross-platform formats, you will need to upgrade to the premium plan and pay $24 a month to use Lightworks.
- One of the most powerful video editing and creation tools
- Many advanced features are available for free
- Lots of online resources and guides for using Lightworks
- It comes in a free version
- You will need to upgrade to the paid version of Lightworks if you want to export your video in 4K to YouTube or in other formats
Available to download for free for Windows, macOS, and GNU/Linux.
Shotcut is another 100% free, open-source video editing software that is available for Windows, MAC and Linux. It is a powerful piece of software that supports the most popular video formats. It has various useful editing tools that will allow you to create the perfect video for your needs.
The interface may seem a little awkward for people who are not used to working with Linux, but once you get the hang of it, Shotcut is exceptional free video editing software.
This video editing software comes with a wide array of video tutorials and guides which will help you get started and work through the video editing process.
Some of the best features of Shotcut are its support for 4K videos as well as the timeline editing option.
You won’t need to upload a video in order to edit it, which can save a lot of time, especially if you have a large media file that you want to edit. Instead, you can perform the task via the easy-to-use native timeline editing feature.
- One of the few free video editors that support 4K video resolution
- The interface may be confusing for people with no experience with Linux
Available in several new and beta versions for macOS, Windows, Mac, and Linux.
DaVinci Resolve is one of the top preferred video editing software tools used by leading TV show and movie editors. It is among the most advanced software on this list, with many professional editing tools available. Still, DaVinci Resolve has an intuitive interface, so even beginners can use it to create stunning videos.
You can use this free video editing software for easy trimming and slicing, exceptional color correction, Multicam editing, and mastering the audio of your video clip.
You can also use the software for adding 2D and 3D titles and for multiple other effects and features.
While it can be a tad too extensive if you simply want to trim a video and upload it, if you have more complex editing projects in mind, the DaVinci Resolve is one of the best options on the market.
- Advanced features combined with a user-friendly interface
- The vast choice of tools and options can be overwhelming for beginners who want to perform simple editing tasks
Available to download for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
This open-source video editing software suite is another great free video editing tool on the Internet.
The interface of the video editing software is similar to iMovie, so Mac users will feel especially comfortable using it.
Openshot has a lot of editing tools and features, including unlimited layers and tracks, video trimming, scaling, resizing, rotation, snapping, and video transition cutting. It provides real-time previews so you can easily view the result of your work as you go as well.
Other tools provided by the Openshot video editing software include audio mixing, 3D animated titles, title templates, subtitles, watermarks, and drag and drop editing, panning, scrolling, snapping, and zooming of the timeline.
- Completely free to use
- Unlimited tracks and layers
- There are not as many tutorials and guides for the program
Available downloads for Linux, Linux 64, Windows, Mac OS X, and PC-BSD.
Avidemux is one of the best options for users looking for a simple tool to edit and create a video of any kind.
This video editing software has a user-friendly interface and allows for simple filtering, cutting, and encoding of video files.
It is an excellent choice if you are just getting started with video editing, although it lacks the extensive and advanced features of other free video editors on our list.
- It is one of the easiest editors you can find, with no learning curve
- It offers only simple and basic features
Available for free for Mac and Windows.
HitFilm Express is another advanced free video editing software tool that includes all of the basic features, such as trimming, splicing, audio editing, and more. It also has advanced features like video and audio filters, green screen effect keying, voice recorder, advanced cutting, built-in presets and effects, masking and layers, compositing tools, 2D and 3D video, and more.
- A professional video editor available for free
- YouTube uploading – perfect for YouTube vloggers
- Many useful video tutorials
- The interface of HitFilm Express may require some learning and getting used to
Available for free for Windows and Mac.
InVideo is an excellent online video editing software that has a free plan and is suitable for beginners and advanced users for making personal and professional videos.
The video editing software platform has all the essential editing tools along with added options like automated voiceovers, speed adjustment, smart frames, video stabilizing, unlimited templates, HD exports, online collaboration, and access to 24/7 customer support.
With new templates and features continuously added to the platform, InVideo is among the leading options for professionals and newbies alike when it comes to free video editing tools.
There are also premium plans which start from $10 per month if you want access to all of the excellent features and templates.
- Quick and easy to learn
- Many advanced features allowing for making professional-looking marketing and personal videos
- You will need to pay if you want access to the more advanced options and features
Available for macOS.
iMovie is a video editing software that is designed and made for macOS. It is, in fact, a native in-house Apple app, which is easy to navigate and use with an intuitive drag and drop interface.
It is among the best options for Mac users who are making their first steps in video editing and creation.
You can easily edit a video on iMovie and trim it, split the screen, edit the audio, create movie trailers, upload in 4K, and more.
- Excellent free video editor for newbies who use MAC computers
- Advanced users may find the limited features frustrating
- iMovie is available for MAC only
Available for Windows downloads.
VSDC is a free multimedia suite including an easy-to-use video editor, available for Windows.
This video editing software supports all popular video and audio formats, green background removal key, built-in effects, transitions and filters, zoom, 360 video editing, charts, color correction, and more.
The VSDC Free Video Editor is a video editing software designed to work on all types of Windows computers, including older and slower machines.
VSDC also offers a downloadable Video Converter, an Audio Converter, and an Audio CD Grabber.
There are premium plans, which you can sign up for starting at $19.99, which offers added stabilization of the image, visual waveform, and voiceover.
If you want access to customer support, you will need to pay $9.99 per month or $15 per year.
- Works on all Windows configurations
- Relatively easy to learn and use
- Powerful built-in tools in the Windows movie maker
- Available for Windows only
- Tech support is paid
Available for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10.
Machete Video Editor Lite is among the most straightforward free video editing software tools, suitable for complete newbies and all types of basic video editing tasks.
With the free version of the online video editor, you will get support for AVI and MMV files and can remove audio tracks, but if you want to edit the audio, you will need to sign up for the premium version.
The Machete Video Editor Lite includes simple editing tools, including cutting, splicing, copying, and pasting video fragments, editing metadata tags, integrating different videos in one, extracting a video stream file, and more.
With the paid version of the popular video editing software, you will receive support for most video and audio formats, and you can edit the audio of your clips. The paid option starts at a one-off payment of $19.95.
- Simple interface, straightforward to use
- You will need to buy the full version if you want to edit the audio
- Available for Windows only
Available for download for Windows and Mac OS x 10.5 or above.
VideoPad is another suitable solution for users who have no previous video editing experience and skills.
The video editing software platform is easy to use and includes a wide variety of ready-made transitions, camera shake reduction, 3D video editing, plug-ins for effects and tools, splitting, cropping, mixing and trimming, burning DVDs, uploading to YouTube, exporting movies in all resolutions up to 4K and on all devices and more.
- Superb features for editing a video and uploading it directly to YouTube or other platforms and social networks
- Simple and easy to navigate interface
- The free video editing software may be a bit too basic for more advanced users
Available for free download for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10.
This is a free video converter software tool that you can use to convert and edit your videos and to embed them to websites, or extract their audio even if you are a beginner.
It is a very quick and easy free tool for Windows computers, which will allow you to easily convert just about any video format into others suitable for uploading and playing on different platforms and devices.
The free Windows movie maker supports more than 500 different video format types and a wide range of audio and image files.
You can use it to make videos and slideshows by joining, cutting, and rotating videos and images too.
It supports a 4K resolution.
- Suitable for Windows users with zero video editor skills and experience
- Excellent for converting all types of video formats
- Some features remain locked during the first three days after downloading the tool
- Available for Windows only
Best Free Video Editing Software for Mobile
If you prefer using your smartphone or tablet to edit and upload your videos rather than a computer, then here are the best free video editors for mobile phones and devices.
Available for download for Android and iOS.
Created by GoPro, Quik is one of the best video editing software apps for Android and iOS mobile phones and devices.
It has all the essential tools and features you will need to edit a video directly on your smartphone, right after you have shot it. It offers auto-editing and trimming features that will allow you to create a great-looking clip, even if you are a beginner.
There are also options to manually edit your video if you prefer to tweak it yourself with this free software movie maker.
- Includes quick and easy to use auto-editing of videos
- Easy and quick to use
- Available for Android and iOS mobile devices
- It may be too basic for advanced users who prefer to have more manual control over the editing
Download available for iOS, Android, Windows, and macOS.
This best video editing software by Adobe is among the most popular free editing apps, which can be used on computers and on mobile devices.
It allows for automatic or manual tweaking and customization of videos and audios, thanks to the built-in Automatic and Freeform modes.
You can use your own videos and audios and upload them from the library included in the app. You can correct the color, make transitions, and trim the video quickly, and add music of your choice easily.
The video editing app syncs seamlessly with Lightroom and other platforms and tools.
- Auto and manual editing
- Adobe Creative Cloud is supported
- Available for computer and smartphone use
- It doesn’t include some basic editing features like rotating or others
Available for iOS and Android devices.
The Horizon video editor for mobile phones is free and easy to understand and use and has a unique feature of enabling shooting videos in a horizontal layout, no matter how your phone or tablet is positioned.
With this app, you can make sure that all of your videos are in a suitable layout mode for editing, sharing, and viewing, so you don’t need to worry about accidentally shooting incredible footage with your phone positioned vertically.
- A nifty app for ensuring all videos are in horizontal mode
- There are some in-app purchase options if you want more advanced features
Available for Android and iOS.
Promo.com is another excellent video editing software tool for mobile phones and devices. It is perfect for creating and uploading videos for your website or social media profile.
One of the best video editing software programs includes many tools for editing videos, including video shooting, speed adjustment, merging and splitting, text overlays, audio editing, HD resolution, uploading to social media platforms, and more.
- Intuitive and easy to use UI
- Many tools and automated features included in the free software
- You will need to pay for a premium version starting at $49 per month if you want to remove the promo watermark and get access to more features
Available for download and use on iOS and Android devices.
The GoPro free best video editing software is among the most popular of all mobile free editors on the market. The video editing software for beginners has an intuitive user interface and is very easy to use, even if you have no previous experience in video editing.
You can use the video editing app for cutting and editing your videos directly on your phone, as well as for adding audio and transitions from the built-in gallery.
Once you are done, you can upload and share your video instantly directly from the best video editing software.
- Easy and intuitive to use
- Excellent for quick editing and sharing of videos
- Some users complain about glitches when editing large files
Best Free Video Editing Apps for Instagram
Whether you are striving to become an Instagram influencer or are using the popular platform to promote your brand or products, you will need a suitable free editor for Instagram, which you can use to create videos suitable for Instagram and for easy uploading to the platform.
Here are the best video editing software tools for Instagram.
Available for iOS and Android.
Magisto is a video editor that is YouTube certified and is an official Facebook and Instagram Partner.
The award-winning video editing software tool allows for easy upload and adding videos, photos, audio, and other files, in order to create stunning videos that will gain a lot of likes and followers.
One of the best video editing apps has an AI technology that will help even beginners automatically edit and make gorgeous videos suitable for Instagram and other social networks and video sharing platforms.
- An AI-based smart editor for professional-looking videos
- Suitable for creating videos for all social media platforms and other needs
- Quick and easy to use
- The manual editing features are a bit limited
Available for download and use on iOS and Android mobile phones and devices.
The Boomerang Instagram app is a designated video editor for Instagram, which will enable you to make short videos of yourself or anything else by taking 10 photos in bursts, and quickly and easily stitching them together to create a mini video for social media. It will smooth the bumps in the video, loop it back and forth, and more.
You can upload the fun videos directly to Instagram from the Boomerang app with a tap of a button.
- Easy to use and share on your Instagram profile page
- No other video editing features are included, so it is a one-feature Instagram video app
Available for iOS devices.
Hyperlapse is a mobile app for iPhones, which is an in-house Instagram app, so it is created with making and sharing videos on Instagram in mind.
The app is an excellent option if you want to make stunning time-lapse videos to impress your followers or clients on Instagram.
It offers an excellent stabilization feature, which will allow you to take beautiful time-lapse videos without the need for a tripod.
You can shoot the time-lapse video, choose how much to speed it up (up to x12), and directly upload it to Instagram with the Hyperlapse app on your iPhone.
- Perfect for time-lapse videos without the need for using a tripod
- Developed by Instagram
- Available for iOS only
- Limited other video editing functions
Available for download for iOS and Android devices.
PicPlayPost is another mobile app for creating impressive video collages on the go and share them on your Instagram page.
You can use the app to add music or other audio backgrounds to your collages and can choose among different templates for 9 frame video collages. The app is also suitable for importing or adding Giphy gifs, and adding text or watermarks to your mini video for Instagram, trimming them and adjusting the speed, and more.
It is a superb video editor for Instagram for creating how-to, travel, or other short video collages and videos of up to 30 minutes.
- Very easy to use app without complicated features
- You will need to pay for the full version if you want to merge several different collages
23. Apple Clips
Available for download for iOS.
This is a native Apple app, which is a great option for editing and uploading videos to Instagram.
With Apple Clips, you can edit the background of your videos and add a fun, comic book look to them. You can use the app to add titles automatically by speaking into the mic, while the speech is converted to captions as well.
One of the best video editing software programs for Instagram has some other impressive filters and its other features include 360-degree selfies and TrueDepth as well.
- Live Titles, and other fun features for making unique videos for Instagram
- Simple interface
- Only available for iOS
Available for downloads and use on iOS and Android devices.
The FilmoraGo editing app will allow you to edit the videos on your phone by trimming them, adding transitions, music, reversing the direction, choosing an aspect ratio, changing the speed, splitting them into several clips, and more.
The video editing tool comes with built-in filters, effects, stickers, and fonts for adding text to your videos for Instagram and social media.
You can also get a desktop version, which has more features and video effects for creating videos, but is paid and will cost you $44.99 per year.
- An excellent option for all basic video editing needs on mobile phones and devices
- Added fun themes, stickers, text, and more
- Not as advanced as the paid version for desktops
Summary: Best Free Video Editing Software
As you can see, there are many free options available for creating videos without any professional editing skills, and without the need for hiring a pro.
You can use any of these tools to make personal or professional videos for your needs, and for your website, or any other platform or format.
Here are the best free video editors for all types of needs, according to our in-depth research:
- Best free video editing software for beginners – Openshot, Avidemux, and VideoPad
- Best free video editor for advanced audio and video project with 3D – Blender
- Best free editor for high resolution 4K and HD videos – Shotcut
- Best free video editor and movie maker for Windows – VSDC
- Best free video editor for MAC projects – iMovie
- Best free video editor for splicing – Machete Lite
- Best for YouTube vloggers – HitFilm Express
- Best free editor for color correction – DaVinci Resolve
- Best for converting, modifying videos, and extracting audio – Freemake
- Best free video editor mobile app for quick and easy clip creation – Quik, Splice, Adobe Premiere Rush
- Best mobile app for horizontal video shooting at all times – Horizon
- Best free video editor for Instagram quick edits and uploads – Apple Clips and Magisto
- Best app for creating collages and turning images into clips – Boomerang
- Best editing app for converting audios into social media clips – Anchor Video Maker
- Best app for time-lapse video creation – Hyperlapse
- Best mobile app for adding themes, filters, and text for Instagram videos – FilmoraGo
Hopefully, we have helped you find the best almost and completely free video editors on the market for your specific needs.
With these editors, you can start creating stunning videos for your personal needs or your marketing and professional needs too.
Enjoy your editing and good luck with your new videos!
Related: Top Website Builders to Display Video on Your Website